Friday, June 29, 2012

Pack the shy away

Well, after making a promise to myself to be more present here, our internet went and buggered off for nearly a week.  Nice.  However, I'm actually kind of enjoying being unplugged a little bit.  Our cell phones don't work here in the Valley, and without Facebook, you actually have to pick up the phone if you want to talk to people.

Which, frankly, is the way it should be.

I've been thinking a lot about connecting with people, and forming communities, and for me, going out of my comfort zone when it comes to meeting new people.

I'm frighteningly shy when it comes to meeting new people.  I'm great one on one, getting to know someone as an individual is something I think I do well.  But large groups of people?  Hate 'em. 

But when you're the new chick in town, you absolutely HAVE to pack the shy away with the rest of the crap in the attic, and just put yourself out there, if you want to find the people that you connect with.  There is a whole ready-made community here that we've stepped into, but I can't expect to be BFF's with everyone in town.  Even within a little community, there are going to be people that you connect with more than others.

And I'm putting myself out there to find those people.

And it's actually working.

And that's just enough to bring on a boost of confidence, and convince me that I need to keep on doing it.

Because finding those peeps is totally awesome.  And hanging out on the porch with them until midnight (on a school night) and dreaming up crazy adventures is even more awesome.

Making them come true...now wouldn't that be amazing too?  This place feels magical enough that it just might be possible. 

*******

Happy Friday, my friends!

1 comment:

  1. I want that! I don't make the time to put myself out there...and I should. I need to. I wish we lived in a tiny community...but living in the suburbs is what I have and I know I can find community within it. :)

    ReplyDelete